Monday 31 May 2010

How to make a Ferrari cake


I thought I would write this how to as I found this one quite a challenge and couldn't find any advice or how tos out there, so now there is!

Firstly, bake a 10 inch square sponge, mine was vanilla. I find it is best to then leave this over night in an airtight container as the sponge is a lot easier to work with the next day.

Take the sponge and carve it into the shape of a Ferrari, I took a picture of an actual Ferrari and tried to copy this, this is the tricky bit but absolute crucial part so take your time over it, getting your desired shape. Once you have achieved the shape you want, slice the cake in half horizontally, ready to buttercream. I use a bread knife to make the cut definition in the sponge, then take some cotton thread and use this as a cheese wire, if you know what I mean; you get a really even cut then.


This is the sponge, carved and waiting for the final coat of buttercream


Even out the fondant icing by using a pallet knife and smoother





Sandwich your cake with buttercream, then buttercream the whole of the outside, make sure its very smooth and even as this is the base for your fondant. Leave the buttercream to form a 'crumb crust' then take a pallet knife dipped in boiling water and smooth over the whole cake, this then makes it super, super even and smooth.

Next comes the fondant icing... the key part and the part that I find the most nerve wracking when icing any cake never mind a novelty shaped one like this. Take your red icing and knead until it is nice and pliable, then roll it out to the size you need to cover the cake in its entirety and a little bit more. Place the icing over your rolling pin and lay over the sponge, then using your hands smooth it down around the shape of your cake, really getting the icing stuck down firmly. Now take your pallet knife and chop the excess icing away. Smooth the icing down with a plastic smoother. Just keep repeating this until you get the icing as you want it.

Now its time for the decoration and final touches, I wont go into too much detail here as this is the fun part and something you can do to the minute detail or not, its up to you. I will let the pictures do the talking from now on!



Ball tools are ace!




The car now has wing mirrors, front and back grill plus front lights


The finished cake, complete with man driving it, I seem to have made him a wee bit smarmy...!



Hope that helps anyone out there wanting to make this.

7 comments:

  1. Complimenti, da italiana ti dico che è davvero splendida. Grazie per i consigli. A presto con affetto Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow..this is gorgeous!!! I love it and I bet the client love it, too :)

    Thanks for showing us how you did it!

    Have a great week

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cecilia, thank you very much for your kind words and it was my pleasure to demonstrate how to make it x

    Manu, Thank you so much x

    ReplyDelete
  4. They just keep getting better,love this one to bits. You are so talented... and lovely too !! (even though I am just a teeny weeny bit biased) mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW - got to show this one to my other half!!!

    well done, especially having to figure it all out yourself, I would not know where to start

    congrats!
    love Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    This weekend I used your how to to make a Ferrari-cake. Thank you for showing how to make one. This is the one I made:
    http://overtaarten.nl/2013/01/13/ferrari-voor-miel/

    ReplyDelete